Sooo, since I like to give all my miniature armies some uniqueness by little conversions, additions and scratchbuilds I figured it would be a good time to do some scratchbuilding for my Flames of War army.
The subject this time would be making an objective, since my forces were lacking one. Flames of War only specifies the measurements of the base-area an objective need to cover, so there were no limitations beyond that.
I set my mind to building some sort of radio-station or radar, that would be a nice objective to either capture or defend for my forces.
After some googling I stumbled upon the following picture:
That would be an awesome objective to capture; a German Wurzburg Riese (Giant Wurzburg) Radar station.
Some history snippets from Wiki:
"The Würzburg radar was the primary ground-based gun laying radar for both the Luftwaffe and the German Army during World War II. Initial development took place before the war, entering service in 1940. Eventually over 4,000 Würzburgs of various models were produced. It took its name from the city of Würzburg as the project leader liked geographical names."
"...Even the D model was not accurate enough for direct laying of guns. In order to provide the system with much greater accuracy, the FuMG 65 Würzburg-Riese ("Giant Würzburg") was developed. Based on the same basic circuitry as the D model, the new version featured a much larger 7.4 m antenna and a more powerful transmitter with a range of up to 70 kilometers (43 mi). Azimuth accuracy was 0.2 degrees and elevation 0.1 degree, more than enough for direct gun-laying. The system was now too large to be carried on a truck trailer, and was instead adapted for operation from a railway carriage as the Würzburg-Riese-E, of which 1,500 were produced during the war. The Würzburg-Riese Gigant was a very large version with a 160 kW transmitter, which never entered production."
Funny fact is that here in the Netherlands, some of the remains of these stations (mainly the concrete bases) can still be found scattered around the countryside.
So I took up my plasticcard and hobby-knife and set to work. The dish proved to be a bit of a challenge, but I think the whole thing turned out rather well.
And after the paint-job:
Another fine addition to my FoW army and my growing list of scratchbuilds :D